Six Quick and Easy Ways to Keep your Workout Gear Smelling Fresh
Believe it or not, sweat doesn't actually have a scent! The embarrassing, offensive odor actually happens when the bacteria on our skin reacts to the sweat, producing BO. To combat this problem, workout clothes have been infused with nano-size partials of silver. This is a brilliant idea since silver has long been known to have antibacterial properties, but in this case, save your money! Tests have shown that the bacteria fighting particles wash out of the fabric and become ineffective after only a few washings. So save your money and try these simple steps:
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of baking soda on your smelly workout gear before tossing in the washer.
- Make sure you aren't using too much detergent and avoid fabric softener as it can traps odors. If you have a front loading washer, make sure you are use high efficiency (HE) detergent so it rinses properly.
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to your rinse cycle (You can put it in the fabric softener compartment). It will help break down any residue left behind and it's also a deodorizer.
- Line drying your clothes on a sunny day also will kill bacteria
- Pop your clothes in the freezer. That's right, slip your duds in a ziplock bag and pop them in the freezer to kill the bacteria.
- Hand wash your workout clothes with shampoo or dish soap. Its a great way to cut through body oils.